Sunday, April 25, 2010

REJECTION IN THE MODERN WORLD

There was a time when a writer could simply focus on writing the best book they could write and know that the cream would rise to the top. Keep editing, keep revising, it'll all pay off in the end. Those days are gone. Now you could write the perfect novel, with perfect characters and perfect pace and that probably isn't enough. I won't use the P-word here, but let's just say that you need to get exposure. That's where sites like this and others come in. I've already received commitments from several agents and a couple of publishers who agreed to keep tabs on the blog and even judge the finalists. I want to offer writers a place for people to read their work and comment on what they've seen. 500 words may not seem like much, but trust me in the publishing world that's an eternity. Any agent worth his or her salt could smell a prospect within the first paragraph. So please work at your craft and keep posting your work wherever you can. Because, you just never know who's watching.

3 comments:

  1. I completely agree. This is a great opportunity for people wanting to get their achievements out in the open.

    Thank you Mr. Ponzo

    ReplyDelete
  2. No problem, Daryl. If a writer somehow found an agent or a publisher through this site, I'd be thrilled. That's really my goal. And if this idea of mine grows the way I expect it to, that day will come. As writers we should all support each other.
    Also, don't forget to send more of your work. I meant what I said.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely on the need for exposure, Gary. In addition to a personal blog, I maintain two other blogs where I feature guest authors; Murder By 4, and Novel Works. Helping other writers creates a win/win situation—everyone get attention. I’ve made amazing contacts through these blogs, and I couldn’t agree with you more, you never know where those contacts will lead.

    Now I’m at the crossroads and for the first time will seek representation for the novel I’ve recently completed (my first two novels are with a small press). I have to admit, it’s more than a little unnerving to not know if my best will be good enough, but if we don’t try, the answer will always be no, right?

    Hats off to you for your efforts and with what you hope to accomplish with this blog!

    ReplyDelete