Monday, December 20, 2010

5 QUESTIONS FOR AUTHOR JANET EVANOVICH

Janet Evanovich is a literary treasure. Not only has she sold more than 75 million books worldwide, but her last 11 novels have made their debut at number 1 on the N.Y. Times bestseller list.  Her first Stephanie Plum novel is becoming a movie in 2011 starring Katherine Heigl as Stephanie Plum.  She's funny, self-deprecating and allows her fans to choose the name of her upcoming novels.  She was also reckless enough to stop by and play 5 questions with me.

1- Your 1993 novel, "One for the Money," is finally becoming a film. Is this a big deal to you, or do you feel it's a bigger deal to your fans?

I think it's great and from the mail we get, I think my readers are looking forward to it, too.

2- Is there something precarious about Stephanie Plum becoming a visual image on a large screen rather than the unique image in each particular reader's mind?

I suppose that's always a risk. However, most people know that a book is a book and a movie is a movie and they are very different. People still read James Patterson's Alex Cross series, Robert B. Parker's Spencer and Robert Ludlum's Bourne books despite the fact that well known actors played them in the movies and on TV. In the long run, I don't think much damage is done.

3-What percentage of Stephanie Plum is your alter ego?

In terms of klutziness, it's about 100% With regard to being able to come up with snappy rejoinders off the cuff and having the energy of a 30-year-old, the similarities diminish.

4- Do you always feel your latest book is your best or do you have favorites?

I usually think my latest is my best. I'm currently at work on the next Plum -- Smokin' Seventeen -- which will be out in June. I really like it. I should also say that I'm really excited about the new series featuring the character Diesel. The first of that series, Wicked Appetite, was published this past September and I can't wait to get to the next book.

5- With the emergence of the digital age, how do you see the publishing world looking in ten years?

Good question. I don't have a crystal ball, but I'd say that e-books are going to continue to grow and become a big factor in publishing. Maybe I'm a Pollyanna, but I don't think traditional books will disappear. While a number of my readers come to my book signings and ask me to sign their e-reader covers, most folks who wait patiently in line say they love paper and ink and don't have plans to convert anytime soon.

2 comments:

  1. 5 questions, 5 great answers. Thanks for sharing this gary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You bet Sean. She was very gracious to stop by.

    ReplyDelete